Applying for a Passport
The Des Moines County Auditor’s Office accepts passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State. Our office can assist any U.S. citizen, who meets the passport application requirements, with obtaining a U.S. passport.
Our office is also able to take Passport Photos for new applicants and renewals. The fee for the photos is $10.00.
Passport applications are accepted:
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM - BY APPOINTMENT ONLY!!!
We encourage you to call the office at 319-753-8232 to make sure the passport agent is available.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE REGARDING PASSPORT SERVICE AS OF JUNE 17, 2021
Mail delays are impacting when the U.S. Department of State receives passport applications for processing. Their processing times begin the day they receive an application, not the day it is mailed.
With this in mind, the service times are as follows:
• Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted at an acceptance facility or renewed through the mail to the day a new passport is received by the customer. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing at the passport agency and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
• Expedited service (for an additional $60) can take up to 12 weeks from the day an application is submitted at an acceptance facility or renewed through the mail to the day a new passport is received by the customer. The 12-week timeframe includes up to 6 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
• For faster mailing times, customers may opt to pay for 1-2 day delivery service for applications mailed to Passport Services and for the mailing of their new passport.
Customers who have a life-or-death emergency or urgent travel within 3 business days should visit the U.S. Department of State website at travel.state.gov for information on how we can assist them.
Please contact the Des Moines County Auditor’s Office at 319-753-8232 if you have additional questions. We thank you for your continued support during these unprecedented times.
December 2019 NEW PASSPORT FEES APPLY
Passport Fees are available from the U.S. Department of State.
International Travel Requirements
A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries.
All travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda are required to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States.
The links provided below contain information that will be useful to check before traveling abroad.
MORE ABOUT PASSPORTS
- For more information about passports, as well as online forms
- Center for Disease Control Traveler's Health
TRAVEL INOCULATIONS & MEDICATIONS
- Consult your travel agent or the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit
The travel.state.gov website is maintained by The Bureau of Consular Affairs a division of The U.S. Department of State.