Learn about the duties and responsibilities of the Des Moines County Roads Department.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the safety and quality of roads and bridges under the county's jurisdiction. Des Moines County has 642 miles of secondary roads and 103 bridges.
- Responsible for design and construction on road and bridge projects within the county.
- Responsible for the supervision of maintenance and construction on all secondary roads in the county.
- Responsible for issuing permits pertaining to roadway and right-of-way use.
- Responsible for the installation of traffic signs, maintaining road surfaces, ditch drainage, vegetation control, and winter snow and ice removal.