A one-room school house on a one acre lot, Old Zion School is maintained as a historic landmark. The limestone schoolhouse was built in the 1840’s and served the Zion School District from 1846 until 1964 when school district consolidation closed nearly all of the 100 one room school houses in the area. The Zion School District donated the property to Des Moines County Conservation in 1965. The property resides along the Flint River Trail and features a restroom and fire grill. DMCC staff occasionally host public events at the site, opening the school for public viewing. In order to protect its interior, the building remains locked at all other times.
Zion School Class of 1923
Zion Class (unknown date)
Zion School Class of 1951 or 1952
Zion School Class of 1959
Take Highway 61 north from Burlington. Turn west on 170th St., go 2 miles, then turn south on Teal Road Go ½ mile and turn back west on 165th St., go about 1 mile and turn south on 155th Avenue The schoolhouse will be on the right.