Big Hollow Campgrounds
At Big Hollow Recreation Area, there are 32 full hookup sites (with on-site electric, water & sewer) within the RV campground. Each site offers ample room for a camper, truck and extra vehicle or boat trailer. Several sites are designed as "buddy sites" and can accomodate two campers for those that want to share a site with friends or family. Nearby overflow parking areas accommodate additional vehicles for family members or guests. A central water and sewer dump station and modern restroom / shower house are also available.
Reserve a Campsite at Big Hollow
Half of the RV campsites in this campground are reservable online up to one year in advance. Reservations can be made at MyCountyParks.com
PRIMITIVE (Tent) CAMPGROUND
For those wanting to "rough it" a little more, 16 primitive campsites are carved right into the mature oak-hickory forest at Big Hollow. Ample space between the sites helps maintain the solitude of each site. For those really wanting to get away from it all, some sites can only be reached via a short hike down an access trail.
The nightly rate for a non-electric (primitive) site is $10.
Firewood is available for purchase at the registration area or through the campground host in the RV campground. To prevent the spread of invasive species, Des Moines County Conservation does not allow any outside firewood to be brought in to any of its parks.
- All campers in non-reserved sites must self register unless you have a reservation
- Maximum length of stay is fourteen (14) days
- All pets must be controlled by owners
- Fires permitted only in containers provided
- Do not remove or deface natural features or park structures
- No littering
- Golf carts prohibited
- UTV's / ATV's are allowed on the same roads and parking areas as passenger vehicles and must comply with the same laws governing their use on county roads
- Keep all vehicles on roads or parking areas
- Quiet hours: 10:30 p.m. - 6 a.m.
- One camper per site unless you are in a designated buddy site
- 5mph speed limit in campground
Big Hollow Trail Map (PDF)
Big Hollow is conveniently located ten miles north of Burlington. Get there by taking Pleasant Grove Road west three miles off of Highway 61 then turning south on 152nd Avenue and go one mile to the park entrance.
PARK PHYSICAL ADDRESS
18853 152nd Avenue
Sperry, IA 52650
Park & Campground Development
Big Hollow is still undergoing development. Future plans include initial construction and expanding the playground to include a natural playscape area, shower stations at the beach and possibly even full amenity lakefront rental cabins. The continued development of Big Hollow will only progress as funding allows. Since most of the funding for the project must come from grants and private donations, YOU can help make the planned developments a reality.